I strongly believe that empowering people begins with knowledge regarding their health, as well as how to utilise the resources available to them. The Water Well project provides a great platform to encourage discussion in local communities about health and health accessibility, which is truly unique. It's so great to have the opportunity to engage with these communities.
3. Please share one of your favourite Water Well sessions or moments.
Facilitating a healthy eating session at AMES Footscray with English students was so fun. Everyone was keen to impress me with their English vocabulary, and I learnt about some weird and wonderful foods from their traditional cultures.
4. What tips do you have for new volunteers?
- Prepare, but be flexible. Follow where the group takes you. The resource boxes that can really help to facilitate an interactive session.
- Don't be nervous. The sessions are usually covering things you would have learnt at a school level.
- Dance with the play group and be happy and know it and clap your hands!