1. What is your background (profession/ workplace/ training)?
I work as a junior doctor in Melbourne's Western suburbs; next year I'll start training towards becoming an emergency physician.
2. What inspired you to become a Water Well volunteer?
I had the privilege to attend a Water Well induction session as a keen and very eager final year student. I was considering steering towards a career in education (and away from Medicine) at the time so it seemed like (and continues to be) a perfect organisation to combine my two main passions.
3. Please share one of your favourite Water Well sessions or moments.
I have many Water Well memories now as I'm lucky to have completed a few sessions. Probably my favourite memory is of a session we ran on "falls". I borrowed my sister's boyfriend's old moccasins for the session to demonstrate tripping over and then actually did fall over! The whole group was in hysterics. We then got all 30 of them to demonstrate getting themselves off the floor - it was a very interactive, memorable session.
4. What tips do you have for new volunteers?
Obviously this is personal for everyone...things I always try to focus on before any education session I run:
- be prepared
- acknowledge the experience and enjoyment you gain from the session
- ask the group if they learnt anything from the session at the end and share a specific piece of information that you learnt from the session - its always a two way street!